It is the intent of the South Tongass Volunteer Fire Department to select and screen applicants who will best suit the department's mission and goals according to the membership guidelines.
In order for an applicant to be accepted as a member of this organization, you must meet the following guidelines.
Minimum Basic Requirements
- 18 years of age.
- Possess a current and valid driver's license from any state, able to obtain an Alaska driver's license within one year.
- Provide criminal and driving background check. The department will reimburse applicant's expenses upon acceptance as member.
- Sign Hepatitis B vaccination form regarding acceptance or declining vaccine.
- Applicants may be disqualified for any felony or misdemeanor convictions involving, but not limited to, driving, violence, alcohol, drugs—including misuse of prescription drugs, and deceit.
- Applicants must not be on any mind-altering prescription drugs or have consumed alcohol while on duty.
- The membership committee will check a minimum of three references on each applicant. Any unfavorable references may cause the application to be rejected. The membership committee will determine what is unfavorable.
- Must have good personal hygiene.
- Applicants must understand rules and regulations set forth by the department and division for which they are applying.
Required Federal Classes for all Department Personnel
Complete the online course and return to the intro page to take the final test. Complete the test and fill out the information sheet. Once you receive your certificate please bring it to the office so a copy can be put into your file.
The links below will take you to the student manuals, go back to the intro page and click on the interactive web-based course: